Saturday, April 30, 2005

Of Nerves and Such

Tomorrow I play at my church, Central Christian on N. Rock Road Wichita Kansas. I never thought I would be so nervous the night before a performance. Usually I am eating my favorite food and watching tv. Tonight, I find myself thinking a lot about the one piece I have to play and my practice is a little frantic even though I know it well. I wonder whether it is the sheer size of the congregation (around 2000) that is unnerving me, or that my piano professor will be coming, or that many of my friends there have never heard me play.

I also may have another opportunity to audition at another university. I don't know whether this would be the golden opportunity that I shouldn't miss or the straw that breaks the camel's back. I think that my confidence is in shreds and my nerves are shot, after the last audition. I wonder whether there are universities out there that would focus on what they can do for me, rather then just only on what I can do for them. I will write to the dept chair and see what I can find out. In the meanwhile, I have my cv, repertoire lists and what-nots ready to be mailed at anytime now.

Anyhow, I'm practicing dilligently and I'm doing alright financially at this point. I started a temp. job with the Sucess for All Foundation and I like it. That eases a lot of the worry as to whether I'll be able to survive through the summer.

Sleep beckons as a great opportunity awaits me tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment