Monday, October 24, 2005

Accompanist Frustrations

I didn't think I would return to accompanying. Yes, my graduate assistantship is in accompanying. I haven't decided whether I just dislike it or hate it. After not sightreading for a couple years, my skills are pretty rusty. I think that would only improve with time. I'm glad that my technique has certainly grown over the past three years. I'm not sure that I'm as confident an accompanist as I am as a soloist.

A couple of things to ponder have crept up. It is hard to collaborate with other musicians whose level of skill and musicianship do not match yours. Either you are better than they are or worse than they are. Singers have very little idea that the piano accompaniments can be much harder than their parts and therefore need more time to perfect. I have had students throw me their oratorio accompaniments and expect me to be ready for their lessons in a week. I guess it is only important if they can sing it. I could sing it in one week too since I did take voice lessons for three years.

However, on the other hand I do have students that are just starting their musical journey of rhythms and notes. I do not mind coaching and teaching those but most of them refuse to be corrected. I guess I have to keep covering their mistakes or risk being called incompetent and unable to follow a singer.

I think I heard this saying in a class here: "Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!" I do have singers who can't or refuse to lead and put the blame on me. Had someone yell at me for not following her. I have not had much patience with students like her, all I say is, "then you have to lead better".

In short, I'd rather teach!

No comments:

Post a Comment