Monday, October 24, 2005

Of Shopping in China

My visit to China was great. I have a ton of piano music that I need to spend time looking at. I have the collected works of Chen Pei-Xun and Li Yinghai. I also managed to buy some anthologies of piano music by contemporary Chinese composers. I found all this in Guangdong and I'm sure the music shop was very happy with me as I made a $500 purchase. Considering that USD $1= 8 Chinese yuan, I didn't feel too bad about my shopping spree.

Also I realized that CDs are way cheaper there and they are the same artists & recordings. I did make sure they were licensed copies as I didn't want to get into trouble here. I own CDs of Lang Lang, Yundi Li and Yoyo Ma plus some other artists. I was particularly interested in the crossover genre. The CD of 12 Girls has garnered quite a bit of attention in Japan. These young ladies play Western music on Chinese instruments. Interesting sounds and I particularly liked the theme from Riverdance.

Unfortunately, I couldn't feed my love of clothes. I found out that most everything was a little too small. Most clothing here in the USA is too big for me. It is rather ironic that I couldn't find much in China where I'm pushing the average size. Win some lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment