Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Chinese Piano Music

Dragon Songs, Lang Lang
Already mentioned in another post. Pretty good selection of Chinese pieces.

Chinoiserie, Jenny Lin performer. BIS #1110
This CD is a compilation of Western piano compositions influenced by the Orient. I found the two pieces that I performed on my graduate recital on this CD. Some of the pieces bear more similarities to Chinese music than others. Composers like Arensky, Grainger, Busoni, Cyril Scott, John Adams, Tcherepnin and Rossini are featured. I will discuss what I know about the pieces on other posts. I love this collection of pieces. Buy Chinoiserie CD at Amazon.





Three Chinese Piano Concertos, Eileen Huang. ASV 1031
This CD contains the Yellow River Concerto and the Chinese Youth Piano Concerto. The Chinese Youth Piano Concerto is hilarious.. I can't stop laughing when I listen to it. It is a quite the cliche piece of traditional Chinese orchestra and the piano. The third concerto "The Moon's Reflection of the Second Springs" Abing/Chu Wanghua is not really a concerto but an ensemble of Chinese instruments with the piano. I performed the piano solo version of this piece on my graduate recital. Also found on this CD is the "Autumn Moon Mirrored in the Lake" which was programmed on my senior recital at Southwestern College. Buy Chinese Piano Concertos at Amazon.


 

Ancient & Modern Chinese Music, Eileen Huang. Appassionato #69306
A collection of piano works by 20th century Chinese composers. These pieces are a good sample of the compositional styles and are considered to be famous works. Most of the pieces are suitable for college or advanced pianists. There is a second volume but I have not been able to obtain it. Available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment