Friday, September 21, 2007

People Watching at Airports (Pt 2)

Since I blogged about people watching at O'Hare on my way home to Malaysia, I want to continue with the same coming back to the USA. This round it was more of parent watching.

My journey back to the USA was very smooth considering other experiences I have had. I, along with other fellow passengers, was plagued with screaming children on almost every flight segment. I also was landed with the great honor of sitting next to a screaming toddler on my last flight segment. I actually didn't mind it too much since I wisely always have earplugs & an eye mask with me.

What appalled me was the lack of parental sense! The flight from Singapore to Japan is about 7 hrs. I felt sorry for the toddler who didn't have his toys, his snacks and his blankie.. and whatever it is that could occupy him. I thought that after takeoff the parents would take something out, but sadly nothing. The child was allowed to screech everytime he wanted something.

We almost had a lost child scenario.. screaming child running on the concourse in O'Hare. Security personnel even tried to get a hold of him. I pitied the mom who could obviously not handle him. She had a baby on her back and just couldn't handle chasing this toddler.

I noticed the same with the parent who sat next to me. There were no toys, nothing. The toddler's routine is already disrupted and what more could torture you more.. Then there was another toddler and they decided screaming was the best form of communication. It was rather comical! I was the one with the earplugs *grin* and slept through the whole fiasco. The other poor passengers...

I didn't have perfect parents but I remember every long trip we had to make was filled with some planning. My brother and I each had our own bag. Dad would take us to the candy store and we'd choose our favorite stuff. We chose what snacks, books, games and toys we were bringing along. Usually these trips involved my dad being in a meeting and we had to keep ourselves occupied.

Buy your child an interesting new toy secretly. Only bring it out after takeoff. :) I once read this and will take this advice pretty seriously. Only I will have to buy a few new toys since there are quite a few flight segments from the USA to Malaysia. Sometime in the future my days of perfect parenting will end!

No comments:

Post a Comment