Sunday, October 7, 2007

YES! This is IT!

"YES!" A big, one word immediately off-stage after Schubert. What a triumph to end the piece successfully! The recital was a blast and I thorougly enjoyed playing it. Usually I mess up on endings, BUT today I finished every piece strongly and under control. I felt so comfortable on stage today and I have missed that feeling for almost two years. (Of course, with this much adrenaline in my system I won't be falling asleep anytime soon, although my eyes are getting very tired.)

I had to struggle with some nerves with the Bach, but I am happy with the way it turned out. It will take some closer study of the minor movements to improve it. I fought for the fugue and it was worth it. I have been always concerned with Debussy's Estampes but I knew I had to let go and allow it to fall in its place. I was very surprised at how well this set went. I also allowed myself to explore the sensual in the habanera. I don't think I've ever played it better. The Jardins started way faster than I practiced it but it was expected and I just let it happen. I missed some stuff in the ending and that was okay because I ended the piece nicely. I know I'll get it in Winfield.

The Schubert sonata is and definitely was the gem of the recital. Although I'm not usually a person who strives to prove herself, this time a lot of things hung on its successful performance. My biggest struggle with this piece is physical - I get extremely thirsty by the 4th mvt. I did tank up the whole day in preparation for this. During the performance, I was slightly annoyed at someone coughing almost always at the wrong moments. I didn't let that get to me as I felt so comfortable on stage and musically everything was knitting together. I controlled the musical and emotional elements well tonight. I would catch myself smiling during the last mvt. I am thrilled I got most of the chords, (above 95% average is good enough for me) and the technical challenges. I nailed the ending as I intended to.

I hope this recital shows the UA School of Music something. I made the best decision in changing teachers. (I don't hate my former teacher although this person may think so. I wish she could have celebrated my success with me tonight.) I can finally play the piano to my fullest potential and exploit the range of color I am capable of producing. I can play without getting tensed or injured at the piano. In fact, my fingers, arms and shoulders feel wonderful even after this marathon. I can play using my musical instincts and trust my judgments during a performance. My confidence was not compromised. Most of all, I know I did play my best today and I wouldn't have done anything differently. Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment