Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Summer Camps 2009

Here are some summer camps which I am really interested in attending BUT I spent all my money on China last year. So if you feel sponsoring a poor international graduate student or have possibilities for a job, please leave a comment. The next thing I'm learning to do is fix a car. Jill of all trades, master of several!

Barbara Lister-Sink, Author of "Freeing the Caged Bird"
Intensive Workshop, June 22-27, 2009. Salem College, NC.
This would be good for anyone who is open to exploring bio-mechanics and ergonomic piano playing techniques. Barbara is a bundle of energy and has a great personality. I appreciate her down-to-earth approach and her teacher's heart. After a quick session with Barbara, I noticed one thing about my playing and she noticed plenty. I changed my sitting posture slightly and have reduced neck/shoulder tension. I am a little more coordinated but I have a long way to go. Her brief workshop at UA reminded me of my years in Kansas when my teachers were focused on injury prevention and better technique for me. Now that I don't have any injuries or maladies, I would love to fully explore my potential at the piano without recital requirements hanging over me.

Malcolm Bilson, David Breitman and Andrew Willis
"Knowing the Score", Summer Fortepiano Workshop August 9-15, 2009. Cornell University.
Another one of my favorite topics is historical performance.
I have not had the chance to explore this too much in the past couple years, because I've been buried in my dissertation research. I have been "Bilsonized" (an example of the American process of verbification) as I have followed some of his work, conference presentations and such. I have met these three wonderful people in person so I would highly recommend this workshop. If all I get to do is see the range of fortepianos they are going to have, I'll be satisfied. I don't think I want to play or perform but just be in the presence of great scholars & performers. I am reminded again of my college years when I had to do research into performance practice and review different recordings, different score editions and produce a written journal on my findings. (Did I become lazier in my DMA?). So if you don't know the difference between fortepianos and the modern piano, and want to find out about notation practices, be there. No excuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment