Monday, August 20, 2012

Fairy Tale Part 2 - Unofficial Matchmakers


          On Black Friday, we took 4 gals from China to the mall. We took them to lunch at a Chinese restaurant and tea time at Cheesecake Factory. I was still very tired from attending the NASM Annual Meeting in Scottsdale, AZ. Interestingly, Patrick had been stationed there before. After we sent the girls back to the university (University of Central Oklahoma), we swung by Patrick's house to co-ordinate outfits for the ball we were attending the next week.
        
          Nov 27: I went to church by myself to Council Road Baptist Church since most of the students were gone for break. Patrick had been inviting me to visit his church several times but I had said no. As I sat through the sermon, I wondered how I was ever going to get involved with this church. My job required that I work on Sundays occasionally. I thought well after the service I'll give him a call and ask to visit his church.
Patrick beats me to the phone call. He called and said I must go to church with him the following Sunday, Dec 4th. He said the international Sunday School class was having a party and he already told them we would be there. I asked him whether that was an invitation because the word "must" was used, and since when did I become "we." He asked what we could bring and what I could cook for the pot luck. I said he shouldn't have said I would be at the party, and he said, "You don't have anything to do on Sunday afternoons." Wow, insistent man! He then said he must have his dance partner there. I wondered why. He promised that "we" would show off a couple steps. I'm speechless so I just laugh. Sunday Dec 4th would be the day after the ball. We meet to practice dancing and swing by the intl student ministry later that day.
        
         The story gets better. Nov 28, Monday evening I get a phone call from one of the students we took to the mall. She wanted to borrow my house and kitchen to throw a lunch party for Patrick to thank him for taking them to the mall. They were leaving for home soon so it had to be quick. How could I refuse such a request? The only available date was Dec 3rd! My house needed work and much cleaning. I had not finished unpacking since I moved. I said yes to her and immediately hired two of my students to come over to clean and decorate for Christmas, might as well. We tried to play hide and seek a lot, notice the word "tried." We covered up a hole in the wall!

          Dec 3rd - This was my day. Got up cooked, picked up the gals, cooked. Patrick came over and helped cook. It's been 8 yrs since there was a guy cooking in my kitchen! I about hyperventilated. That was quite a shock to me. We had a great lunch - fish, pork, venison and carrot cake. One Voice, my outreach team came over to sing a couple carols. It was awesome! As he sat in the living room after the party, he started counting all the things which need attention in my house. My two students were sworn to total silence were trying not to laugh out loud. It was a good first party for my home in Bethany. The party had to end so I could get to my hair appointment and get ready for the ball.

                (I was told to watch out for someone who would come to my house and see the state of disrepair it is in. This person would want to fix it. I'd get pretty flustered with this person and can't get rid of him. Well...)
As for what happens at the ball, stay tuned. To be continued ..

No comments:

Post a Comment