Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Getting Used to the Steinbuhler Smaller Piano Keyboard

        There is always a fear of the unknown and stepping out into any new paradigm. I knew I would have to jump into the world of adapting between two instrument sizes, like switching between violin and viola.  I had read the research of Dr. Carol Leone and other researchers who said it only takes an accomplished pianist about 2 weeks to learn to switch back and forth.

        The size of an octave on a 7/8 is about the size of a 7th on a full-sized piano. I found that to be the most challenging switch. I play for a church regularly and I started running through those pieces at home. There were some Sunday mornings when the first few octaves I intended to play came out as 7ths during the pre-service rehearsal. This occurred mostly in the left hand. It usually lasted for a minute before my brain fixes it. The time lapse reduced over a few weeks where I could switch back and forth.

        The ultimate test came when I accepted a challenge and a gig for a friend who is performing his graduate recital this spring. The piece that is requested is the Prokofiev Violin Sonata no. 2. I have to admit that I have not played any of Prokofiev's works in my recitals, but I was up to taking on this project since I have to the time to practice. The first question was whether I was going to learn the piece on a full-sized keyboard, which, of course, I would have to perform on eventually. I decided I was going to learn and practice this piece solely on my 7/8 Steinbuhler DS Standard. Prokofiev's composition has wide spacings and some awkward passages for the piano. I would not say it was an easy piece to read or learn.

           We had our first rehearsal in December to get a rough idea of what we had to concentrate on. The rehearsal was on a rather uncooperative grand piano and a cold room. I found out quickly how much I had to adjust from the 7/8 to a full-sized piano. The answer was NOT MUCH.

          I observed that I had learned the piece more securely than I thought. Because of this security, I was able to make those wide leaps and play with greater confidence and accuracy. I wondered why this was the case. I come to the conclusion that I had learned the piece in a relaxed manner, with little tension and in the most ergonomic positions possible. This taught my muscles to return quickly to its optimal stage after every stretch or leap. I had to adjust the degree and speed of movement for leaps and wide chords.

          When I played on a full-sized piano, I finally realized how uncomfortable it was to play octaves. I could feel a difference with my stamina and level of muscle fatigue when playing on these different keyboards. It makes me wonder what it would have been like if I practiced all my graduate recitals on the 7/8 especially Brahms, Beethoven and Chopin.

            I hope more and more small-handed pianists have the opportunity to try out these Steinbuhler keyboards. It is a world of difference and it has definitely rekindled my love for playing.

Now, onto teaching children on the 7/8 keyboard. That is for another post ... Stay tuned!





 

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! You're so lucky to have been able to find one used. I've been searching for one of these as I have even smaller hands than you do and it sounds life-changing!

    ReplyDelete