Friday, March 1, 2013

Steinbuhler DS 7/8 Smaller Piano Keyboard

Last fall, I purchased a Kawai piano that is equipped with a Steinbuhler DS 7/8 smaller keyboard (DS Standard™). This is a smaller keyboard than a standard size. I first encountered this keyboard at the MTNA National Convention in Kansas City when I was still a graduate student. When I played the pianos at the exhibit, I sight-read music that had intervals of a 10th and I dreamed of owning such a keyboard. I didn't even imagine the remotest possibility of privately owning one. I had hoped I would work for an educational institution who would.

My hand span is 7 3/8" (full disclosure) and reaching anything beyond an octave is uncomfortable. I have been very blessed that I have not developed any performance related injuries after many recitals. There have been many pieces that I have performed over the years which my hand span put me at a disadvantage. There are so only many wide chords that one can arpeggiate without losing the feel of the meter, not to mention hand fatigue.

I started watching the piano ads just for fun over the summer and came across an advertisement for a Kawai grand piano at an antique store. It took me a little while to figure out that it had been fitted with a reduced size keyboard. The sale price was a great bargain as the cost of the keyboard far exceeded the asking price. After a few weeks of talking to my husband about it, I suggested we take a 40 minute drive to look at the piano. If it was offered to me below a certain price and if it is good shape, we would seriously consider buying it. We made an appointment to see it.

In short, we saw the piano, I played it and the store made us an offer. My husband measured the piano properly so that we could brainstorm how to fit the piano in our house. There was also a note from the previous owner of the piano which really made me think hard. This piano needs a good home. I told the seller that we had to take a week to consider it. We went home and slept on it.. for five days, until the seller called to make us another offer. No one else would understand/appreciate the value this keyboard. We took the offer the next day, sent her a down payment and made arrangements for it to be moved to our home. There's nothing quite like the excitement of watching a grand piano delivered to my home!

The piano finish needed no work and it still looks like a brand new piano. The hammers showed some wear, the strings needed a cleaning and a good tuning (or two!). We had David Bonham service the piano because that was who the previous owner suggested. It still needs regulation and voicing. As soon as that is done, the piano will be ready for showings.

In my next post, I'll share some of my observations when making the transition to my new 7/8 keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment