Thursday, June 23, 2005

Did I Really Do That?

I have had more feedback about my playing in Grace UMC in Winfield on Mother's Day. I recorded my ecstatic feelings that day in an earlier post. I don't think the performance was recorded but I will always remember the feeling.

A couple weekends ago, my godmother threw me a farewell party in Winfield as I'm going to leave pretty soon. I overheard that there were people that cried after I finished playing Beethoven's Rondo at church. It leaves me to wonder as to why they did.The pastor later told me he cried and there were a few teary eyes in the congregation. He said the music was so beautiful and it was almost unbelievable.

I am pleased that I communicated to my listeners. To me it is the most important thing in performing. But what was it that came across to them? I did wear my heart on my sleeve that day and I gave it all I had, since I thought it was the last I would play of that piece. However I wasn't going to throw my music out the window.. not that church anyway since there are really nice stained glass ;) I will always cherish that performance of the Rondo (which wasn't my favorite piece of my grad recital) as it was a spring board to a nice, secure audition. I think I gained a lot of confidence back in that 4 1/2 minutes.

So did someone else in the congregation... It happened that a gal is learning the Granados waltz that I chose to play. The 1st waltz from Valses Poeticos is a piece I like to play very late at night.. usually past midnight. It made her day that it was something I chose to program. Her mom said that she said.. Gloria played it so I must not be doing too bad. Ah put on a pedestal.. ah! I guess I must have hit more notes correctly than I thought.

I look forward to putting another program together and will anticipate my next "Winfield" experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment