Thursday, April 23, 2009

DMA: The most important thing I learned

It hit me about twenty minutes ago. I think the extrovert in me is back in full. I've been an introvert for all eleven years of higher ed. My DMA taught me that I am not an introvert! Priceless, right?

Earlier this evening, I danced on the Quad alone, while others watched. Never did that before in my life! I have never hated being at home, in front of my computer all day than these few weeks. Tonight is tough for the extrovert in me. There's ballroom and salsa dancing on the Quad. My China gang is out for dinner and more dancing at El Rincon. What do I have to do? Edit the document so the "first" draft can be submitted tomorrow. I would prefer planning tomorrow's guest lecture on Cultural Revolution art and music for HY 504. That is way more exciting.

Yes, I found out about more red tape than I wish to care about concerning committee meetings and the like. Duh, I should have known there must be a meeting for the first draft but nobody said anything and it isn't posted anywhere. I wish the School of Music had its own checklist for graduate students writing documents. I found out more about the process through the women's support group I'm in. (Yes, I joined a support group and it's been very informational. No one has been emotional or just complaining. We share all the information we have about research, shortcuts, computers and the like. I heard some guys want to join us but they should start their own.)

It's almost done. Two more weeks of this and I'll put my dance shoes back on!

The answer to your question about what I am going to do next? I'll exaggerate on what I said on my master's commencement since this is the doctorate: I join the ranks of the unemployed, but I have an even brighter future!! (Now I should print that on t-shirts and sell it at commencement ceremonies come May. Could make a buck or two *wink*)

No comments:

Post a Comment