Friday, September 3, 2010

A Broken Record

I think I'm beginning to sound like a broken record or CD or an mp3 file error in my piano lessons. I understand where the students are coming from and am able to recognize some habits in their playing. I wouldn't have thought of making my students play scales but in fact, YES, I am. I'm not being a tyrant about it but I have to be responsible to fix a basic technical problem: not releasing keys. I appreciate that my teachers took the time to fix this problem. There is no way to play with any clarity or speed without this.

I didn't realize how much I can't stand the sound of notes blurring together until I started teaching. I had not realized how sensitive my hearing is towards that. I think my more advanced students are surprised when I ask them to play a pentascale hands separately. One can tell so much about their playing just from that like what they consider to be good tone and good touch.

Besides not releasing keys, most do not play with a nice basic tone. They skim the keys like I used to do. I liken that type of playing to a singer with breathy tone. I don't think I can play like that anymore because it hurts my muscles! It's nostalgic to go down memory lane with my students. :)

I remember one of my teachers saying that taking lessons is narrowing the gap between what you perceive is true/correct to what your teacher hears. I'm noticing this to be true that my students evaluate and grade their playing very differently than I do. It is scary, I'm beginning to sound like my teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment