Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Beethoven links

Here are some links for Beethoven that have been wonderful for my Beethoven piano music survey class. Since the books about Beethoven's piano sonatas were checked out, I had to be very creative in how I came up with the scholarly resources for my presentation. I had to say I started off with Wikipedia, not that I'm proud of it but I found a gem.

The Raptus Association has information about Beethoven's pieces. The creation histories contain a section about the piano sonatas and quotes some major authors on Beethoven (Solomon, Kinderman, Cooper, Kaiser). The information is drawn from books by those authors and the page nos are given. This is absolutely fantastic as you can read all about a work without having to flip through a couple books.

The other website that is just wonderful is the Beethoven Haus website. This is the house where Beethoven was born in. Navigate the digital archives for music manuscripts, first editions and letters. It is interesting to see all these posted on the web and you don't need to go to Bonn. There is also a page about the museum and a live webcam.

Taking a year's survey of Beethoven's music has really deepened my appreciation for his music and his genius. I would love to play and listen to more of his sonatas now than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment