Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A caring Malaysia? How about ragging (hazing) then?

I have modified this post and sent it to The Star in response to the SMS post "Still raging on" Wednesday August 6, 2008.
----------------
This "slogan" was used in Malaysia sometime ago. For the past ten years, I return to Malaysia every summer and unfortunately, I have not seen great changes in the society towards this goal. I believe the formative years of students are of great importance in nation building and instilling values. The late teen years and early 20s are still crucial years, in which a former child takes on the adult world. He leaves his parents and his character takes further shape. He establishes a framework for his world view and his role in society. Hence, the practice of ragging (hazing) in universities is a serious detriment to society as it perpetuates an uncivilized, uncaring society.

What exactly then is hazing? According to "stophazing.org", hazing refers to any activity expected of someone joining a group (or to maintain full status in a group) that humiliates, degrades or risks emotional and/or physical harm, regardless of the person's willingness to participate. There are varying levels and forms of hazing.

I have been fortunate to study in the USA, where new students are welcomed and treated very well. When I first went to college, I was terrified of hazing after hearing so many tales in Malaysia. I was surprised that there were seniors waiting to help us move into the dorms. They even carried our bags up to our dorm rooms, helped us register for classes and get ID cards, took us on a tour of the campus and took us shopping in town. Also, they organized fun events for us like a carnival complete with a Ferris' wheel, and also threw a banquet for us. I later found out it was a privilege for upperclassmen to be selected to help incoming students. I have since graduated from college and have been in graduate school.

In the USA, there are also laws against hazing. Now as a student president of several student organizations, I am required to sign legally binding documents that neither I nor my organization will haze incoming members. Failing which, I can be subject to disciplinary action from my university and/or legal criminal prosecution. My organization's faculty advisors are also required to report any wrongdoing. I do not need laws to keep me from doing this, I have no desire to do so. I also teach freshman students for my university and as a lecturer, I extend the same courtesy given to me before. My students know I will help them in whatever way possible.

Many student leaders say ragging is meant to toughen up the freshies and teach them to respect the seniors. Some also claim ragging in the guise of orientation is fun. I will pose a question to those planning these activities: Will you be one of the participants instead? Perhaps the activity will not be so much fun after all. Ragging or hazing, like other forms of abuse occurs mainly as a tool to control newcomers, and to show power. It is pre-meditated and planned victimization. Respect is earned and trust is also earned. How many of the abused actually grow to respect their abusers? Abuse breeds mistrust, low self-esteem, alienation and apathy, which impede the building of a caring society. Certainly we are not encouraging these in our universities, or are we?

By letting this phenomenon continue, whether officially sanctioned or not, is to let new students be victimized at a time where they are most vulnerable. This is akin to robbing a tourist who is not familiar with the surroundings, language or system. This transition from home to tertiary studies is stressful enough. It also sends a message that it is alright to prey on those who cannot fend for themselves. Furthermore, it teaches one to turn a blind eye to the needs of others and that this is also acceptable. In our Malaysian society, we see this where road accident victims are not helped but robbed, sometimes further injured and/or left to die.

Studies on abuse have shown that people who have been abused, often also turn abusive. It is in our human nature to seek revenge and punish those who have offended us. New students who have to undergo such humiliation usually wait for their turn to be seniors and continue this vicious cycle. Unfortunately, in the university setting, the original perpetrators would have graduated, leaving the next intake to bear the brunt. It takes effort and courage to forgive and put a stop to this. Authorities must put an end to this cycle, before we train more generations of students to be abusers and apathetic. The practice of ragging is intolerable in a civilized society.

For more resources, check out http://www.stophazing.org

No comments:

Post a Comment