Friday, May 20, 2005

Alabama, Here I Come!!

Yes, it has finally happened. I guess all the practicing and hanging in there paid off finally. I played a decent audition for once. I was very comfortable and played the Italian Concerto really well. I didn't play as well on the Beethoven and Grieg cos I was so dehydrated that day. I had to leave out a few notes on the Chinese pieces too.

After I finished the Bach we had to switch gears and go into a accompanying audition. The voice faculty were present and some piano faculty were present, so there were about 6 people. I played the accompaniment to Gretchen Am Spinrade and sightread an aria from La Boheme while one of the profs sang. He was so loud I couldn't hear myself so I kept fumbling around. I guess I must have never established a key since after I finished the piano prof asked for a D-flat major chord.

Anyway, the piano area coordinator there has accepted me and wants me to study with her. She is a very nice lady and her credentials are awesome, but she was willing to put herself in a vulnerable position when she said, "I hope this professor (hand on her heart) would be loved as much as you do your current professor". She understands that it will be hard for me to leave my professor here.

I think I have all the answers about the university. Words I have been waiting to hear so that I know it is the right school. She did mention that the school strives to work with students individually and also is a nurturing school. She cares about her students very much and I can tell that. I think I will work well with this professor.

So now I will wait to hear news of the assistantship and the official acceptance letter from the graduate school.

No comments:

Post a Comment