Sunday, May 29, 2005

Erratic Memory, Practice Tips (NGR) Part 3

"Notes from the Green Room" by Paul Salmon & Robert Meyer

Erratic Memory
- Use alternate measure (A/B) half scores.
The authors suggest covering every other measure of the score (1,3,5). After which, the performer should switch to the covering the opposite set (2,4,6). Post-it Notes may work very well for this. The score preparation may take a lot of time but this suggestion may be worthwhile experimenting with.

- Imagine playing a piece through in its entirety.
I tend to do this if I can't sleep or ... There was one night I had the 1st mvt of Beethoven's Pastorale Sonata replaying over and over again in my sleep. When I woke up, I knew I had the piece memorized! Didn't get much rest though.

- Practice with memory-enhancing sound cues.
When I understand this, I will try to explain.

- Transcribe challenging passages into a notebook or log.
This task may prove to be too challenging for me. I'll try the other three, thanks though.

Buy Notes from the Green Room

No comments:

Post a Comment