Sunday, May 8, 2005

"I Nailed That Stinker!!"

I think someone should record my first reactions after I finish performing. Today was the first time in a long while that I was truly happy with my playing. I finally played my heart out in the Beethoven Rondo as it is the last time I intend to play it for now. I gave all I had to give. I was very comfortable with the piece and did more with the expression, and pulled several surprises. The best thing is that I knew I had an audience even though there was a crying baby through the first part of the piece. I held them with me till the end.

I always enjoy playing in Winfield. I listened to two senior recitals on Saturday. After those two performances, I had to sit down and practice in Messenger. My usual SC habit was to practice late into the night and be the last to leave the building after security has locked it. Thursday this week was a significant day. Something just snapped and I got mad at my piano professor for the first time. A casual question became a catalyst. I cried for hours that afternoon and just poured out my frustrations and disappointments with not getting into doctoral school. So in Messenger, I played through all my pieces and was just so relieved to know that I can still play. It was all I needed and Sunday was great!!

Someone came up to me after the service and asked me a lot of questions. He finally said that his wife has a scholarship for Kansas graduates to attend the Aspen Music Festival and he wanted to know whether I would be interested. I left him my business card and I hope to hear from this person. We will see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment