Monday, May 30, 2005

Chinese Piano Music: a beginning post

I have been approached many times by people wanting to know more about Chinese music. I have to admit that my knowledge of this subject is limited and I am researching more into this genre. To save me from repeating myself too often, I am going to start posting on this subject and if applicable, post links as to where the information, scores, CDs can be found. Hopefully this will be of help to people researching orientalism or Chinese music.

Some good CDs to start off with are:
Chinoiserie, Jenny Lin performer. BIS #1110
This CD is a compilation of Western piano compositions influenced by the Orient. I found the two pieces that I performed on my graduate recital on this CD. Some of the pieces bear more similarities to Chinese music than others. Composers like Arensky, Grainger, Busoni, Cyril Scott, John Adams, Tcherepnin and Rossini are featured. I will discuss what I know about the pieces on other posts. Buy Chinoiserie CD


Three Chinese Piano Concertos, Eileen Huang. ASV 1031
This CD contains the Yellow River Concerto and the Chinese Youth Piano Concerto. The third concerto "The Moon's Reflection of the Second Springs" is not really a concerto but an ensemble of Chinese instruments with the piano. I performed the piano solo version of this piece on my graduate recital. Also found on this CD is the "Autumn Moon Mirrored in the Lake" which was programmed on my senior recital at Southwestern College. Buy Chinese Piano Concertos

Ancient & Modern Chinese Music, Eileen Huang. Appassionato #69306
A collection of piano works by 20th century Chinese composers. These pieces are a good sample of the compositional styles and are considered to be famous works. Most of the pieces are suitable for college or advanced pianists. There is a second volume but I have not been able to obtain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment